Sunday, January 13, 2013

What a great weekend!

I am having such a great weekend, I'm not quite ready for it to end.  

Yesterday I got a day to myself with the babies while hubby worked (he works every other Saturday).   I was able to be productive in the morning - even before they got a nap in!   It's the little things that before kids don't feel like as big an accomplishment, that just make you feel like you just solved world peace.   Okay - maybe they don't make you feel that good, but they do make you feel damn good and accomplishing.   For instance, my big accomplishments were that I moved the load from the wash into the dryer and got another load in the wash!    And while the babies played in their exersaucer and jumper - and the dogs went outside - I got a quick vacuuming done in the living room.  After that, I wasn't able to get anything accomplished - the vacuum sat in the middle of the hallway until later that night and the laundry situation didn't change much until this morning.

I also learned a very good lesson on Saturday, and that's to trust my motherly instinct.    My babies have been leading a very scheduled life.   I change their schedule fairly often based on cues and instincts and usually Im right, but yesterday I decided to give them the chance to set their own schedule, since most parents I know don't schedule their kids meals and naps.   Man was that a BAD idea!   They were incredibly fussy at dinnertime and then slept horribly at night - Nathaniel even needed a little snack in the middle of the night for the first time in like 2 months!   So today, we went back on schedule!   We still had some residual effects from the previous 24 hours, but for the most part they were their normal selves.

And then today was just awesome.   Not even the ILs craziness (because there is never a week without something) could put a dent in my day!

I finished up some laundry and finally finished the "holiday" cards (now to just place them in the mail) and then we had some of hubby's family over, that we haven't seen since - I think - the wedding, to meet the twins, and I had a great few hours just hanging out with them and getting to know them, sharing stories and playing Jewish geography.   Apparently I'm (distantly) related to a few of my friends!

After hanging out with them, we hung out as a family of 4 (plus 2 dogs) for a while, and when the twins went down for their next nap, I decided to finally get back to baking and cooking.   I knocked out a batch of cookies from a recipe I adapted off of pinterest (instead of pumpkin pudding, I used butterscotch pudding and instead of choc chips, I used 2/3 butterscotch chips 1/3 choc chips), baked a blueberry bread from a box I had hanging around the house and cooked a full healthy dinner - also adapted from a pinterest recipe (I just did the chicken and used chipotle hummus and served with couscous and steamed broccoli)!

And it all felt nice and good!   Now if I could just have more weekends like this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment