Saturday, December 8, 2012

A thankful month - Day 8

Today, on the first night of Hanukah, I am thankful for traditions.   Much of Judaism is based on different family traditions.   For instance, its traditional of Ashkenazi Jews to name their children after someone who has passed - so keeping with that tradition Nathaniel Riley was named after his paternal great grandfather Nathan and his maternal great grandmother Rose and Sara Lily was named after her maternal great grandfathers Samuel and Leonard.

On Hanukkah, it is tradition to light a menorah - unfortunately, I was a bit busy and never got around to buying hanukah candles - so we "lit" the electric menorah.   But it was still so special to spend the first night of hanukah with just my husband and babies.  

And as Hanukah is based on miracles, we just happened to have a few miracles of our own during the day and night!

Miracle #1: Out of nowhere, both my dogs came up and sat down right in the middle of the babies and posed for a picture.   Okay well maybe they didn't pose for a picture, but it was the perfect picture, and they stayed still long enough for me to take the phone out and turn on the camera!


Miracle #2: I was able to cook dinner for the first time since I went back to work and probably only like the third time since I had the babies!   I made sweet and sour meatballs, but they didn't turn out too well :(   I think the issue was the ground turkey I used..


"New Tradition" #1: Nathaniel "helped" me cook dinner.   Obviously he didn't do anything, but I do hope to keep/start the tradition of cooking and baking with the kids once they are old enough!


Miracle #3/"New Tradition" #2: Nathaniel and Sara skipped their evening nap and sat at the dinner table with us!!!   Hopefully the start of many family dinners together!   (Ignore all the laundry in the background :))


It was a happy and successful first night of hanukah!   I hope all my readers who celebrate also had/have a happy hanukah, and if you don't celebrate then I wish you a happy holidays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment