Thursday, December 13, 2012

A thankful month - Day 11 and 13








I missed my thankful post the other day, and said yesterday that I was going to lump that one in with todays, as they are somewhat related.   So without further ado, Im thankful for American University and its Greek Life.


I remember when I was a junior in high school going to a college fair at school and just picking up a bunch of pamphlets on a bunch of schools.   The only thing I knew at the time was that I wanted to go somewhere that wasn't local (Philly region) and that I didn't want to go to Penn State (its a great school, I just knew I wanted something a "tad" bit smaller :).    I looked at 4-5 schools that ran the gamut of TINY to mid-size - and unfortunately for my wallet, none were state schools.   During the tours, I learned that I needed something that was bigger than my high school (3,000 students from 10-12) and that I felt at home in.  The schools were good, but nothing JUMPED at me.   That is, until we went to DC.   We were going to take a tour of GWU and AU, and the minute I stepped foot on AU's campus, I was in love.   Everything was just so perfect throughout the tour.   I don't even remember the details, I just remember the feeling of comfort.   And so I applied early decision and got accepted!   And the positive experience continued throughout.   The only negative I really have about AU is an issue across the country - and that's the cost of my college education.   But even in that regard, I was lucky.   I am the middle child and always had another sister in school while I was there, which helped get me better financial aid; and then I became an RA in my junior and senior years, so I didn't have to pay for housing; so with those things going on, my debt is pretty equivalent to my sisters who went to a state school.

In my freshman year, in addition to my school work, I took on THREE jobs,   But one of them was one of the best jobs ever.   I was hired to be a DR (desk receptionist) in Anderson/Centennial Hall.   This job gave me the opportunity to meet tons of wonderful people (including my future roomie!) either because they were DRs (or RAs) or because I saw them walk through the doors.    It also helped that I was a "stupid" freshman that didn't know any better so I picked the Tuesday 11p-2am shift - so I saw TONS of people going in and out of those doors during those hours!   So in my spring semester I decided to go through rush, even thought I NEVER thought of myself as the sorority girl.   I didn't get what I (thought I) wanted, and so I dropped out before being offered anything.   But in the end someone just wouldn't leave me be (ahem - Diana) and so two friends at the time and I decided to rush Phi Mu.

Through my 3 1/2 years with the sorority, I experienced some ups and downs, and I will fully admit that I still have a hard time letting bygones be bygones - BUT I am so thankful for the great friends I met along the way, especially the life-long ones who are still by my side!   Additionally, my time with the sorority also gave me the opportunity to become a leader outside of just the sorority.  I took a leadership role on the panhellenic board, and I am very thankful for my time on panhel.  I made good friends across all the sororities because of my time as Vice President and then President, and it helped increase my leadership skills while in college.  And best of all - I didn't have to do cheesy recruitment skits - and I got to drink through the entire rush process.   Oh wait - we never drank :)  I know I don't talk to anyone from EB anymore - but we had so much fun on Tuesday afternoons and at our summer leadership retreat!

No matter the bad times, stories and situations that came from my time and experiences within greek life, there are that many more good times, stories and situations.   Thanks to everyone who was a part of that time in my life!   I am thankful for all of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment