Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sodas vs. Lawsuits

The news came out today that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing a ban on sugary drinks larger than 16oz at restaurants, movie theaters, stadiums, etc.    To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this - I wish the government wouldn't invade our choices like this and in all reality this still doesn't solve the obesity epidemic at hand.    You can still buy two 16 oz. beverages, or you can go to the store and buy as large a size as you want.    You can buy a 16oz. beverage and get refills.    Hell - you can ignore the soda, and order a milkshake - or you can order a burger and large fries.   There are plenty of ways around the soda where someone is still bringing in those calories, if not more.  

Its also not the governments place to determine what we should and shouldn't eat.   People need to learn appropriate nutritional habits and exercise routine.   Instead of spending the money to get this proposal passed and enforced, why don't we spend the money to really educate people.    And I'm not talking just about educating the kids - educate the parents, because that is where it starts.   Provide some sort of benefits to the companies that make this stuff, for them to make healthier options, or produce more of the healthier options.   Somehow encourage them to make the prices (and sale prices) equal between the healthy and unhealthy (or hell - make the unhealther more expensive).

This also may solve frivolous lawsuits like this Nutella lawsuit.   This lawsuit annoyed the crap out of me!   I love Nutella, and when I buy it, I know its a treat that I should eat in moderation.   And at no point did I ever think it was a healthy snack - but I also know those peanut butter and jelly uncrustables aren't healthy either!    It annoys me that Ferrero even settled - I understand why they did that, because its cheaper in the long run for them - because they never should have had to.   It opens up a whole can of worms for people to start suing food manufacturers because their food is unhealthy and they can't make their own decisions on how to eat a healthy diet.

I wish that people could just use their brains and stop trying to make a quick buck - and then the government wouldn't need to get involved with our tax payer bucks.

But then again, if that were the case, so much would be different about this world we live in...don't even get me started...

No comments:

Post a Comment