Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mothers Day and Some Recipes

I wanted to wish all the mom's and mom-to-be's out there a Happy Mothers Day!   This is my first Mothers Day where I'm celebrating.   I know not all people consider this a first since the babies aren't here, but to my husband and I it is my first (and in June it will be his first Fathers Day even though the babies won't be here (or they better not...they still have another 4-6 weeks after that to stay inside me).

Anyways, this year, we hosted a little breakfast for my MIL and SIL.    All went succesfully with no drama to speak of (yet).    And I made a couple new dishes that were a hit.

The first recipe is this Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole, which I had made before, both times with modifications.  
  • This time, instead of making it in an 8x8, I made it in a 13x9 pan, so I increased everything 50% (8 oz=12 oz, 10 eggs=15 eggs, etc).   
  • Just like last time, I added in "facon" (Morningstar Bacon that my husband and I have become HUGE fans of since my friend introduced it to us at a brunch back in January).   I used 1/2 package (8 pieces) - cooking them in a frying pan first and then crumbling it into pieces and adding them in after the veggies.   
  • Instead of mixed frozen veggies, I decided to just use broccoli this time - buying chopped broccoli so I didn't have to worry about food size.
  • And the last modification was totally by accident.    I realized when I was taking it out of the oven that I forgot to add in the cheese - OOPS!   But it was perfectly fine if you don't like cheese, but I will try not to leave that out in the future as I think it adds good texture and flavor.
The second recipe was the big hit.   I love the french toast breakfast casseroles that soak overnight, but there are so many good options out there, that I keep trying new recipes.   Well I think I hit the jackpot with this recipe!   It was super delicious - and the addition of ricotta cheese really made it perfect.    You don't have to make the strawberry syrup, you could just as well use regular syrup, but it was really good that I think Im gonna make the syrup just to have in the house for waffles (and I've got TONS of frozen strawberries that I defrosted and now need to use up.    I only made one modification, and I wouldn't quite call it a modification.   I had lots of ricotta in the house, so I just spread a nice layer of cheese over the entire top not measuring out 2/3 of a cup.    I probably ended up using about 1-1/3 cups.  

Lastly, we had bagels, and there was a pumpkin cream cheese I have been wanting to try, so I thought this a good opportunity.   I don't think anyone but myself took it, but I was pleased with it - and I have plenty of bagels left for me to eat it over the next couple weeks :)

Now off to enjoy the rest of the day.    I'm celebrating in the same manner I have for the past 8 years or so (although not always on Mothers Day).   I'm taking my mom to the Phillies game for their Mothers Day game.   Its always a fun time - but definitely more so if they win - so lets hope they get out of their slump and put together a few good hits, score a bunch of runs and get solid pitching from the starter AND the bullpen.

And then off to eat at the best BBQ joint in Philly - Sweet Lucy's - with my parents, sisters and their significant other and my niece.   So excited to give my mom her mothers day gift - BIG SURPRISE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment