Thursday, December 29, 2011

Breastfeeding at Target

There was recently a breastfeeding sit-in at Target stores nationwide because of an issue that occurred last month at one in Texas.   If you are unfamiliar with the story - go here to read about it (or just google target breast feeding news, and plenty of stories will pop up)

The way Target employees handled the original situation was completely wrong.   To continuously walk past a nursing mother and make her feel bad and torment her is completely wrong - she is just doing something natural.

But with that being said, I do think the woman could have handled this better from the beginning.   I am not a mother, so you can all take my comments with a grain of salt, but I do have family members and friends who have breastfed, and I don't know any of them who would have just sat in the middle of the women's section and started to breastfeed.  

This has nothing to do with doing it in public, I completely agree that it is a natural thing and one shouldn't have to hide.   I was out with my friends the other month in a mall and we stopped to grab a drink and have a seat at one of the tables in the middle of the mall, and my friends baby was getting hungry and she breastfed right there - and I had absolutely no problems with that - it is normal.

But there is something to be said for finding an appropriate place in public.     Go to the furniture section and sit on a chair where you aren't just in the middle of an aisleway; go to the food area (all Target's have something in the front of the store) and breastfeed there.   In public is completely acceptable, in the middle of some random location isn't.

If you weren't breastfeeding and your baby was starving and you had to feed them.    Are you going to stop right in the center of a section, sit on the floor and pop out the formula and start feeding the kid?   No - you are gonna find a place out of the way to sit down and get it done.

Again - the Target employees who ridiculed the woman were completely wrong - and should be punished.   But this woman, and all people out there, should use some common sense.   

One day I hope to be a mother, and if/when that happens, I hope to be able to breastfeed.   When that happens, I promise you that I will not hide my breastfeeding, but that I will also do it appropriately, finding a location that is not in the middle of other people's way.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I 100% agree with what is posted here and with the future mom comments. Common sense is needed and common decency is needed from others instead of torment and ridicule!

    ReplyDelete