Monday, October 17, 2011

Philly Cupcake


Catching up on old posts that I meant to write, so lets see if I can remember enough to be able to write all my food reviews :\

The day that Adam and I went on our Philadelphia Chocolate Tour we had a mile walk back to our car (where we started the tour) from where we ended the tour.   Other than stopping at doggy stores (I just can’t resist cute dog stores!), we spotted a cupcake place!   Adam and I watch cupcake wars whenever we see it, and those cupcakes always look so good, that I can’t resist the gourmet cupcake shops, so this was no different.   The good thing is, we don’t go into the city much, so I don’t fall sucker to them too often.   

This time, there were a bunch that looked yummy, so we picked up a half dozen – with the intention of splitting each of them.   Except Adam doesn’t always think, and on his day off – while I was at work – he ate a whole cupcake and didn’t share any with me!   So I decided to do the same to him that night, except I did it right in front of him – HA! 

Anyways, like I said in the beginning, this was a little over a month ago, so here is my best memory of what we picked – and my reviews:

Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting
When we got home, Adam and I each picked out a cupcake and split it, so this and the next ones were the ones we first took out.    The icing on this was perfect for me, possibly a little rich for those who don’t LOVE icing.    The icing wasn’t so rich that it overpowered the cake, they were the perfect combination.   The cake was also yummy, nice and moist with good flavor. 

Lemon Cupcake with Lemon Blended Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting 
Adam is a huge lemon lover, so it was no shock that he wanted this and it was the first one he chose.   There was also a strawberry lemonade that looked good, but they were very similar, so I made him pick one.   Adam and I were both fans.   The lemon wasn’t anything crazy – and again the frosting wasn’t overwhelming when paired with the cupcake, but maybe a little rich for those that tried it on its own (but I think only people who love icing and the richness it provides do that J)

PhillyFetti (Vanilla Cupcake with Sprinkles Baked in and Vanilla Buttercream with Sprinkles and Glitter)
This is the one Adam didn’t share L  So no review for you…

Banana Rama Cupcake (Banana Cupcake, Banana Buttercream with Nilla Wafer and white chocolate drizzle)
This is the one I didn’t share with Adam J   And it was YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!   I love me my vanilla and some banana!   The only thing that would have made this even more perfect is some peanut butter!  (which they have a couple cupcakes with PB that I do want to try!)

Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting 
This was the only one that I was disappointed with.   It was a little dry, but it also sat for about 3 days before we ate it, so at first I let it slide, but then we ate the last one the next day and that was super moist still, so I think it was the cupcake.   The icing was good on its own, the cupcake not so much – on top of it being dry the flavor didn’t really grab me (maybe because it was dry).   When I took a bite with the icing and the cake, it wasn’t so bad, but I wouldn’t buy it again.

Jewish Apple Streusel Cupcake
This was delicious.  It was perfectly moist even though it was sitting for 3-4 days.   I’ve never seen this in the form of a cupcake, and in all reality it was just jewish apple cake baked individually as cupcakes – no icing or anything cause that would just be weird.    I would recommend it and would probably buy it again.

Overall, the cupcakes for the most part were good.   Id definitely go back there, especially since there were other flavors that look good that Id want to try.   They were normal sized cupcakes, so nothing crazy overwhelming, but I guess if Im paying $4 for a cupcake, I might want a little more – but with that being said, $4 ain’t that bad for “gourmet” cupcakes that were yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I'll make you cup cakes any time you want and only charge you $2 a cupcake! I'm generous like that. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the reviews, and now I want to either make my own or go out and find a gourmet cupcake place near here. But then again, not the best idea with trying to get in shape with water zumba and lose weight either. :-(

    Oh well - thank you for the ability to live vicariously through the reviews!

    ReplyDelete