Saturday, October 1, 2011

Moneyball Review

I went to go see Moneyball last weekend with a bunch of friends - most of which are sports fans, one of which could care less about sports.   I read the book, but Id guess that no more than half of us (if that) read the book.

With that being said, I would say its a great movie whether you like sports or not or whether you read the book or not.    I haven't read the book in a while, but it wasn't much of a story book, so I was curious to see how they would turn it into a movie - and better yet a movie that isn't geared towards a niche audience.  

Casting Brad Pitt was their first step and their second step was creating it into a larger picture storyline.   They really bring the full storyline into it with Billy Beane's history and his current family life.  

I only had two negatives.   One is that many of the baseball players they casted looked NOTHING like the real players.   I know you can't cast the real guys, but they had a 2 second clip of "Raul Ibanez" and no joke, the guy playing him was three times as dark as him and a foot shorter.   Of course - I only noticed that because Im a baseball person and Raul plays for the Phillies now.

The other negative is that the ending was kinda drawn out.   They could have easily cut 10-15 minutes out of the last half hour without losing anything.   But with that - it was still a really good movie.

(Let's Go Phillies!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment