Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pence-lvania

Now that the Hunter Pence deal has died down a bit, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the deal.   I'm pretty much in the same boat as the "experts".  This was another GREAT deal by Amaro - I think I might even use some combination of 7/29 as my new lucky numbers - or at least Amaro should.

With that being said, it is a great deal because we acquired a good righthanded bat, its not a rental, we are staying under the luxury tax and we didn't give up any of our top talent that we know has ML abilities up.   That's not to say the prospects we traded won't turn out to be great players in the future, but the core of our current team is built to win the WS this year, maybe the next year.

Now, I just want to remind my phellow phans - Hunter Pence isn't Albert Pujols.   Just like Howard, he does have a tendency to strike out a lot and unlike the man he is protecting, he doesn't have a lot of power.    I even believe he is actually rated below average for fielding.  

Again, this is not to say I don't think Hunter Pence is a good player - he is, and he is a great addition to the Phillies - this is more to the guywho was behind me last Sunday at the game (and those like him), who every time Pence came up kept on talking about him hitting a homerun.

No comments:

Post a Comment