I did get one more idea from my friend Abbye for a Nectarine Galette (substituting peaches in of course). I had all the ingredients for this, so I was gonna make this and the entree and skip the peach side.
For the galette - unfortunately the pie crust I had was all dried out, and even with the attempts I made at salvaging it, I wasn't gonna have any luck, so I skipped that idea and went back to the side salad.
On to our dinner, I made Peach-Glazed Barbecue Chicken Breasts (recipe calls for pork chops, but i don't eat pork). I didn't grill the peaches because most of the peaches were too ripe for grilling, I just followed the rest of the recipe. We only marinated it for 30 minutes, and it ended up being really good. If we had time to marinate it longer, I can only imagine how much more flavor it would have had.
The side salad was for a Summer Peach and Tomato Salad. We had a couple tomatoes in the house because we had just seen Adam's aunts and one of them has a vegetable garden and gave us a couple tomatoes. They were so yummy and juicy! I did a bunch of modifications for this:
- I like cooked onions, but not really raw onions, because they just leave that flavor in your mouth for like 24 hours, so I skipped that (and we didn't have onions, so that was another reason to skip it).
- I only used the 2 homegrown tomatoes we had, didn't go and buy and cherry or pear tomatoes (although that would have made it look prettier).
- I didn't have sherry vinegar, just sherry cooking wine and red wine vinegar, so I figured red wine vinegar would be the better substitute
- I added in fig balsamic vinegar because I thought that would be a nice addition (it was - but I think any balsamic vinegar would do the trick)
- I skipped the feta cheese because we were having this with chicken and I keep a (semi) kosher kitchen
- I didn't have fresh basil, so I used some of the dried basil, making sure I rubbed it to bring out the flavors.
With that we had a successful dinner portion of our date night on Monday night. The rest of the night wasn't so great - but that's for another time...